Ankle Joint Pain Specialists in Northern Illinois
Ankle Joint Pain
The joints in your ankles are complex and hardworking. They take a lot of wear and tear, especially if you’re an older adult or you’re living an active lifestyle, so it’s not surprising that ankle joint pain is one of the most common types of foot pain. There are a number of different causes of ankle joint pain, but the good news is that there are also a number of effective, cutting-edge treatments to help you find relief.
At Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle Specialists, our team of ankle joint pain specialists are proud to provide ankle pain treatment to patients across the Midwest. As the second largest foot and ankle practice in Illinois, our physicians are highly trained in the most advanced procedures and technology, and we’re passionate about providing long-term, minimally-invasive relief.
Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle Specialists is now accepting walk-in appointments, and we proudly accept most major insurance providers. If you’re ready to receive ankle pain treatment from the top foot and ankle specialist near you, reach out and get started with us today.
Accurate Diagnoses for Conditions of the Ankle
Common Sources of Ankle Joint Pain
Because your ankles are vulnerable to injury and deterioration, they can be affected by a number of different conditions that cause pain. An experienced ankle specialist can provide you with an accurate diagnosis and get you started on the path to relief and a return to full function.
Some of the most common causes of ankle joint pain we see at Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle include:
- Ankle Instability: This condition can be caused by a previous ankle injury that has not healed properly, resulting in looseness or “give” in the joint. It can also be the result of anatomical abnormalities or degenerative changes to the ligaments, tendons, or bones in the ankle.
- Ankle Sprains: One of the most common ankle injuries, a sprain occurs when the ligaments that support the joint are stretched or torn. This can happen due to a fall, a direct blow to the ankle, or an awkward twisting motion.
- Arthritis: This condition can develop due to degenerative changes in the cartilage that cushions the bones in the ankle joint, resulting in pain, stiffness, and inflammation.
- Talar Dome Lesion: Also known as osteochondral defects or ankle impingement, this condition occurs when there is damage to the cartilage and underlying bone in the ankle joint. It can be caused by an injury, overuse, or degenerative changes in the joint. Most patients will require some form of anterior ankle impingement treatment.
Whether you think you may need treatment for a twisted ankle or you’re experiencing the beginnings of arthritis, the first step is to schedule an appointment with an experienced ankle specialist. At Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle, we will thoroughly evaluate your condition and develop a customized treatment plan to address your specific needs.
Cutting-Edge Care for Ankle Joint Pain
Treatment Options for Ankle Joint Pain
Just as each patient is unique, each ankle condition will require a different approach. However, the ultimate goal of any treatment plan is to help you find relief from chronic ankle pain and restore your ankle to its full, normal functionality.
At Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle Specialists, we provide cutting-edge, highly conservative treatment options for ankle joint pain, including:
- Cortisone Injections: Often used to treat arthritis, these injections can help reduce inflammation and pain in the ankle joint.
- Bracing: Wearing a supportive brace can help stabilize the ankle joint, protecting it from further injury and providing relief from pain.
- Pain Management: In some cases, oral or topical medications may be prescribed to help manage pain and inflammation.
- Cold Laser Treatment: This non-invasive, FDA-cleared therapy uses light energy to stimulate healing and reduce pain in the ankle joint.
If you're experiencing symptoms of ankle pain, don't wait to seek treatment. The sooner you see a specialist, the sooner you can begin developing a treatment plan and finding the relief you deserve. Schedule an appointment at Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle Specialists today.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the advanced ankle therapies you provide?
At Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle, we’re passionate about utilizing the latest techniques and technology to offer our patients the best outcomes possible following their treatment plan. To learn more about the more advanced treatments we provide for conditions of the ankle, visit our page.
How can I find sprained ankle pain relief in the short term?
If your ankle is in non-emergent pain and you’re looking for short-term relief before you visit the doctor, it’s best to try the RICE method:
- Rest the affected area
- Ice the affected area
- Compress the affected muscle
- Elevate the affected limb
If you’re in extreme pain or have experienced a serious injury, emergency walk-in care is available through Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle, and you should seek treatment as soon as possible.
Do you accept insurance for treating ankle pain?
Yes! Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle Specialists is proud to accept insurance from a wide range of providers across the Midwest, including Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and more. You can find our list of accepted providers on our page, and if you don’t see your provider listed, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our friendly and knowledgeable staff to discuss your options.
How can I get started with the best podiatrists near me?
At Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle Specialists, we strive to make it as simple as possible to find the relief you deserve. Just use our to select a time that works for you. We’re also accepting walk-in appointments, so feel free to visit one of our convenient near you.